Thursday, August 28, 2014

To all Mommies with a prenatal DS diagnosis



As I stare into our baby boys' beautiful blue eyes this morning, that routine memory creeps into my thoughts, if only for a second.  Luke's presence brings me so much pure joy, from the moment I first laid eyes on him.  It's an unequivocal sense of pure love, as I felt for all of our children.  There is one difference with Luke however. That unwelcome memory that crept in my head this morning.  That memory that was laid down just 10 months ago, when I was made to believe that he was not lovable...he would not bring pure joy to us and the world.  Within five minutes of seeing all the markers on the ultrasound screen, I was asked if I wanted to continue with the pregnancy, or terminate.  My mind was flooded with thoughts. I actually let fear creep into my mind for a few minutes.  How are we going to do this? We have five other children!  Will he walk? Will he talk? Will he be accepted?   Then with one big exhale, I released that fear. I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit more profoundly than I ever have.  At that moment, God knew exactly who Luke was, and who he will grow into.  His purpose was set long before he was forming in my womb. And where there is life, there is love.  So why does that memory still give me chills today? It all ended happily, right? I think about all the other mommies that are given that choice in that time of fear and despair.  I think about how "special needs" is painted as something awful, and that will take away from our joyful happy lives. They will require more time, more effort, etc.  I think about how their diagnosis or label is painted as unlovable.  My wish is for every one of these mommies getting that diagnosis today, to know that they will love their babies unconditionally. And more blessings will come from their Baby's life, then they would have ever have thought possible.  They will be changed in a positive light, in love, in acceptance, in empathy, and they will grow.  They will grow in faith. They will grow in love. And isn't that our purpose in this life? To take that faith and love and share it with others?  I feel as though now that I was blind. Blind to the truth.  And where I was blind, I now can see.


1 comment: