Monday, August 25, 2014

The Pants

On Sunday morning, we were all getting ready for mass,  and Joseph lays his newly pressed pair of khakis on the edge of the bed.  He then gets in the shower. Meanwhile, Luke was laying in the middle of our bed, which quickly attracted Olivia, Joshua, and Eliana.  The king size bed, covered in a mountain of down blankets and pillows, topped off with a cute baby, was too much to resist!  They were rolling and doing  somersaults off the left side, then  the right side..... you can only imagine Joseph's face when he walked out of the bathroom in his boxers, anticipating that his nicely pressed pants were on the side of the bed still obediently waiting for him.  The kids had already moved on, and left a mound of wrinkled church pants on top of the bed. I cannot tell you how hard I was laughing. I think I actually had tears coming out of my eyes. It was just one of those moments.  And now that the kids are back in school today, you would think that I would be excited to have some order back in the house, and have time to make everything neat, organized, and clean again, but I miss them so much. :-(. My heart physically aches this time of year, when we are saying goodbye to summer, and goodbye to the freedom of having lazy days.  I long to look out the window and see them playing explorer together, with their binoculars and bug boxes, and little straw hats on their heads.  I already miss seeing my 12-year-old give soccer lessons to the younger ones in the front yard.  I miss seeing Anna contrive up a new smoothie recipe, while dancing around the kitchen with Olivia to her Frozen music.  Although there is much to mourn, I know there is much to celebrate. I know they are learning and growing, and experiencing new opportunities as we speak.  Sigh.....



No comments:

Post a Comment