Monday, September 15, 2014

A lesson on gratitude

A dear friend and I were taking a walk this morning, when the subject of gratitude came up.  I loved hearing that she placed an equal level of importance on it with regards to teaching gratitude to children at a young age.  Reflecting on my life thus far, and what I am most thankful for, my dad is definitely high up there on the list.  Though I only had him on this earth for the first 10 years of my life, I have so many fond memories of him, and such a strong sense for who he was.  I remember his strong voice and boisterous personality. I can still close my eyes and hear him singing beside me in church. I remember his joyful smile and big daddy arms throwing me up in the air and hugging me.  I remember his playfulness, and can still see him barreling down that huge waterslide head first, arms in front of him,  at the young age of 60!  I'm grateful for all of these warm memories, but also for what he instilled in my brothers and I, gratitude itself.  Gratitude for anything given to us by others.  Gratitude for blessings from above. Gratitude for all the little things that are so oftentimes overlooked.  My father served his time in the Army Air Corps, in World War II, and lived through part of the great depression.  I remember him telling me about his favorite toy, which consisted of hooking paperclips together..... a choo-choo train.  Perhaps it was growing up with so little that influenced my dad to be so grateful.  And couldn't our culture now benefit from more gratitude today?  Just perhaps it would take some of the focus off of ourselves, and what we do not have.  Perhaps we could focus instead on how grateful we are for what we do have.  Rather than questioning our heavenly Father of why things have not gone our way, perhaps we could all be more grateful for His way.   Gratitude for His master plan and heavenly guidance, not to mention His eternal and everlasting presence.  Today I am grateful for life.  I'm grateful for my loving husband and six beautiful children. I am grateful for all of the friendships he has bestowed onto me.  I am grateful for good health, freedom, and food for our family. I am grateful for the 10 beautiful years that I had with my daddy. What are you grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment